Tarek Badawy is a partner with Meysan Partners.
Tarek specializes in dispute resolution and represents clients in trade, competition, commercial, media, and investment disputes before international tribunals and commissions, as well as Egyptian courts and administrative authorities. He also sits as an arbitrator under various institutional rules (e.g., ICC, DIAC, CRCICA) and in ad hoc proceedings, and regularly serves as an expert witness before courts and international tribunals.
Tarek also advises clients on day-to-day business matters in the aviation, shipping & transportation, banking & finance, energy, oil & gas, insurance & financial services, pharmaceuticals, and TMT industries. He represents and counsels some of the leading players in the TMT sector, ranging from global IT and telecommunications companies to the largest regional and global media companies and news agencies, and has acted as counsel for sports associations and marketing agencies before the COMESA Competition Commission in all investigations involving the sponsorship and broadcasting of sports events within the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa.
Tarek’s experience is recognized by the leading legal directories, which consistently rank him as a leading practitioner of arbitration, TMT, and blockchain.
Tarek speaks Arabic, English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese.
International Disputes, Regulatory and Government Affairs
Egyptian Lawyers Association
Ontario, Canada – Barrister and Solicitor
American University in Cairo, BA, Political Science, 2001
University of Essex, LLM, 2004
Cairo University, LLB, 2006
McGill University, BCL, 2010
McGill University, JD, 2010
Selected international disputes experience includes:
- Successfully defended the Confederation of African Football (CAF) in a precedent-setting investigation before the COMESA Competition Appeals Board; and in an ICC Emergency Arbitration under Swiss law concerning the alleged unlawful termination of a one-billion-dollar sports broadcasting and marketing contract (ICC Case No. 24925/DDA(EA)).
- Represent an Indian company in a multi-million-dollar dispute concerning the breach of a construction contract (ICC Case No. 25982/FS).
- Acted for a European sports marketing company before the COMESA Competition Commission with respect to its alleged breach of COMESA Competition Regulations following its execution of a multi-million-dollar sports broadcasting contract with a European-based international sports association.
- Represented an international association of airlines in a multi-million-pound insurance dispute before the Egyptian Financial Regulatory Authority’s Dispute Settlement Committee, closing the chapter on a longstanding legal battle between an Egyptian insurance company, a US-based reinsurer, and the client.
- Acted for an Asian State-owned company in the first BIT claim brought before an Egyptian court. Claim exceeded US$ 1 Billion and is estimated to be one of the largest argued before Egyptian courts.
- Served as co-counsel for East Mediterranean Gas and a number of its shareholders in four major international oil & gas disputes against the Arab Republic of Egypt and various State entities (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/11; ICC Case No. 18215/GZ/MHM; CRCICA Case No. 829/2012 and PCA Case No. 2012-26).
- Represented two major regional media companies in a multi-million-dollar multi-party dispute involving litigation and arbitration under UAE law concerning breaches of several licensing and broadcasting agreements (CRCICA Case No. 1012/2014).
- Acted for Waterworks, a global environmental engineering company specializing in water treatment, against an Egyptian oil company in a multi-million-pound dispute involving the construction of a water treatment facility and breaches of a build-own-operate contract (CRCICA Case No. 983/2014).
- Represented a major international auto manufacturing company against its Egyptian distributor/dealer in a multi-million-dollar CRCICA arbitration (CRCICA Case No. 856/2012).
- Advised and represented Chinese and US manufacturers before the Egyptian Anti-Dumping, Subsidy and Safeguard Department in several anti-dumping investigations.
- Advised a major airline in the context of the recovery of an aircraft unlawfully seized in a foreign State leading to the eventual return of the aircraft following successful intervention.
Selected international transaction and advisory experience includes:
- Counseled a leading international media company in the context of the global sale of part of its business; advice covered media licensing, corporate restructuring, and employment-related matters under Egyptian law.
- Advised leading TMT companies and news agencies on all legal aspects relating to their business activities in Egypt including the recently enacted cybercrime and media laws.
- Counseled investment funds and oil & gas companies with respect to merger filings to the Egyptian Competition Authority.
- Advised banks and export credit agencies in the context of their multi-million-dollar financing of the purchase of aircraft and aircraft engines.
- Acted for a US-based mortgage lending company in its multi-million-dollar financing of the purchase of Airbus aircraft from an Egyptian airline.
- Advised an Egyptian airline in the context of its dry lease of aircraft registered in a foreign jurisdiction.
- Acted for several Chinese banks in their multi-million-dollar financing of projects operating within one of Egypt’s special economic zones.
- Represented an Egyptian developer in a multi-million-dollar finance transaction relating to the construction of a hotel and commercial complex in Cairo, Egypt.
- Acted for an international aviation company during its acquisition of shares of a local charter company.
- Counseled a group of re-insurers in the context of their settlement of a multi-million-dollar insurance claim with an Egyptian State-owned company.
- Advised an aviation company regarding a multi-million-dollar insurance claim following an aircraft accident in an African State.
QUOTES FROM LEGAL DIRECTORIES
“Tarek Badawy has wide-ranging expertise covering international trade, aviation and media disputes. He is also well versed in competition cases, with experience representing clients in competition-related ICC arbitrations as well as before the COMESA Competition Commission and the Egyptian Competition Authority.
‘I think he is great. He is very competent and understands what the client wishes to do’”
Chambers & Partner (Global) 2022
“Tarek is a high integrity, extremely impressive, dual-qualified dispute resolution lawyer who is also very easy to get along with, and creative”
“We have been especially impressed with Tarek Badawy who is excellent in all respects”
“He is excellent. His advice is clear, straight to the point and does not shy away from drawing clear-cut conclusions when possible. His English is perfect and feedback is provided very promptly”
The Legal 500 (Legalease) EMEA 2022
“an exceptionally knowledgeable lawyer”
“a calming presence in what would otherwise be stressful complex circumstances”.
“strong in managing the firm’s involvement in transactions”
“operates a solutions-based approach”
“outstanding in terms of his professional mindset and English skills”
“his personable and commercial approach is impressive”
The Legal 500 (Legalease) EMEA 2021